Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 3 16 10:12 PM

Tags : :

Looks like the new name is intended to be official - CMJ (but not B) registered the trademark, The Fizz - https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003196932

The application was filed on 15/11/16. I tried to post on here about it a few days ago but kept getting server 500 errors so couldn't log in. Anyway, current status as at yesterday is "application published", which apparently means "The application has been accepted and published in the Intellectual Property Office Trade Marks Journal for opposition purposes."

As others pointed out on another thread, will be interesting to see if Bobby/Heidi oppose it. As I understand it with any new trademark, it can't be too similar to an existing one if it's for the same purpose, so I think B/H have grounds to oppose.   

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 3 16 10:49 PM

Good. It makes far more sense than the R I D I C U L O U S "compromise" foisted on them by the previous negotiations. If Bobby and Heidi contest that, they will end up looking very petty. They have the greater trademark, anyway. I'd be amazed if an argument could be made that this is "too close" to Bucks Fizz™. In fact, I think the bunch of anti-soft-drink New Zealand doctors would have a greater case to make.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 4 16 12:53 AM

I don't think Bobby G will contest the name. I'll be surprised if he does.I could understand his objection to the use of the OBF name but are Bobby G's Bucks Fizz even performing these days?I don't think there'd be grounds for him to object to them using 'The Fizz'  I think 'The Fizz' is a better name than 'Bucks Fizz' anyway. I wonder how long Bobby Mckvay intends to stay on with the group. He seems to fit in pretty well with Cheryl Mike and Jay and they are definitely better as 4 members rather than just three.The fact that he hasn't put his name to the registration of the new name seems to suggest that his involvement with the group won't be on the long term.

Last Edited By: BlueJeans75 Dec 4 16 1:02 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 4 16 1:16 AM

I think it's a good name for CMJ. Short & memorable unlike what they were using before. A little surprised Bobby M isn't named on the trademark though.

Just checked Bucks Fizz's website and they've done 4 gigs in the last month, and have a handful lined up for next year. According to that talent programme that was on earlier this year, B & H are investing a lot of their time in daughter Millie's pursuits. Also, I came across this interesting article published in July which says Bobby has been suffering a lot with back pain (http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/693105/Bucks-Fizz-Bobby-G-crash-bad-back-cure ) so that no doubt is limiting what he can do.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 4 16 2:05 PM

What a great find scotfizz!

Whilst on the subject of this specific name I managed to find a thread form the EY forum from 2012 where many were expecting the OBF re-brand to have been the birth of The Fizz. They got there in the end tho lol.

http://bucksfizztheearlyyears.yuku.com/topic/5287/4th-April-announcement I wonder why Bobby isn't mentioned in this though - I thought he was an integral part of the band nowadays.

Last Edited By: paulfinlay29 Dec 4 16 2:09 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Dec 14 16 1:49 AM

As far as I know Bobby M is a permanent part of the band, I can only assume that CMJ want to own the copyright though as they are the original band members.

Get Busy With The Fizzy!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 17 16 11:16 PM

I hope Bobby M sticks around. He fits in well with the rest of the group. They are way better as a foursome both vocally and aesthetically. I like him. I don't think him better than Bobby G but as there is no chance of Bobby G ever joining up with the other 3 again I think Bobby M a very welcome edition. Plus I believe them when they say they are happy. Of course they have none of the pressures now that they had in their heyday.I imagine it must have been very difficult for them dealing with tensions within the group as well as being puppets with no say. Something was going to give there sooner or later in any case.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 19 16 11:14 PM

ScotFizz wrote:
I think it's a good name for CMJ. Short & memorable unlike what they were using before. A little surprised Bobby M isn't named on the trademark though.

Just checked Bucks Fizz's website and they've done 4 gigs in the last month, and have a handful lined up for next year. According to that talent programme that was on earlier this year, B & H are investing a lot of their time in daughter Millie's pursuits. Also, I came across this interesting article published in July which says Bobby has been suffering a lot with back pain (http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/693105/Bucks-Fizz-Bobby-G-crash-bad-back-cure ) so that no doubt is limiting what he can do.
Thanks very much for this link ScotFizz. I'm genuinely shocked and upset that Bobby has suffered such long term health problems following the crash. I had no idea, partly as the focus was all on how Mike was in the years following the crash. It's too easy to forget the magnitude of that awful event. Also, I guess I forget how old the band members are now which will compound any health issues. 

I wonder how Mike is these days as I know he got sick of interviewers asking in the 80's. I recall reading in 85 that he had tunnel vision and had to take a number of pills every day, for the rest of his life. 

Last Edited By: lds07 Dec 19 16 11:19 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help