Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 11 17 7:08 PM

Tags : :

I've seen a similar thread for a different artist on another forum and wondered if it might work here.

The plan is to go through the entire BF back catalogue one by one and for people to post their rating out of 10 (half marks are allowed!), along with any comments or anecdotes they might want to make.

I figured alphabetical order would be as good as anything so with that in mind I'll start with the numerically based 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 (!).

My rating for this song is 7 out of 10. It's a decent enough song but doesn't quite hit the heights that some of their other songs do.

I never owned Hand Cut back in the day so only discovered this song a few years back when I went out and bought the back-catalogue all at once.

Who is next to share their rating/thoughts??!!

Last Edited By: paulfinlay29 May 5 17 6:10 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 13 17 8:54 AM

I give this song a solid 8 out of 10

I've always liked this tune since I first got the Hand Cut album on vinyl in 1983 and while the song is a tad repetitive and with some ''clunkiness'' here and there it has a great melody
and enough variation to rate highly for me but not quite reach the peak of some of their other hits and singles!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 13 17 2:40 PM

I think its one of the best 2 tracks on Hand Cut along with I'd like to say I love you. The 2 singles didn't hit the highs of previous ones (Run For Your Life was their first single not released in Australia I believe?).
I love the drums, Bobby's vocal and the vocal mix towards the end (Been through this we've said it all before...Don't intend to take it anymore...etc). I love it and still today its a favorite 8.5/10

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 15 17 4:44 PM

I really like this track. It was a typical sound for the group at their time and is a tad over-produced. The lyrics are a bit clunky, but it's an enjoyable enought song. Wasn't it included on the "sticker" on the front cover? Always made me think it could have been ear-marked as a potential single (though I think they would have gone for I'd Like To Say I Love You if there had been a third single). Anyway... a decent 7.5 out of 10 from me!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 28 17 11:07 PM

I'd give this song a 10 out of 10. Hand Cut is the best Bucks Fizz album to me, as it represents Andy Hill and the group at their finest, in conjunction with sound commercial success. Yes, it's over produced, but wonderfully so. The opening drums are one of the best Fizz openings ever and I agree with Huddo that the complex vocals at the end are brilliant. Bobby does a brilliant lead vocal too.

I firmly believe it was intended as the 3rd single, hence being noted on the sticker of the LP. I think that Big Note/RCA changed their mind due to the decline in chart placing, with Run For Your Life "only" getting to 14 (oh how little of the future we knew!). Jay said in an interview that there was a concerted effort to come up with something different and very strong and of course they did - hence When We Were Young. That said, I do believe that 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 would have been another top twenty hit.

Last Edited By: lds07 Apr 28 17 11:09 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 8 17 11:19 PM

I really didn't like Always Thinking Of You at the time. I was really put off by the vocal that only dogs could hear.

Now, years later, I accept that the song itself is ok, but I much prefer the Bardo version as it works far better.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 9 17 12:41 PM

Oh id forgotten there was a bardo version! Have just been listening to them both. The BF version starts off a bit like someone is trying to sing while being strangled but I have to say I enjoy it more and more as it goes on. I think it's a nice enough song do giving it a 6.5 out of 10. Not quite so keen on the bardo version tbh. (Why DID bardo cover two BF songs I wonder... it amounts to 33% of their entire discography!!)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

May 9 17 12:43 PM

Oh id forgotten there was a bardo version! Have just been listening to them both. The BF version starts off a bit like someone is trying to sing while being strangled but I have to say I enjoy it more and more as it goes on. I think it's a nitce enough song do giving it a 6.5 out of 10. Not quite so keen on the bardo version tbh. (Why DID bardo cover two BF songs I wonder... it amounts to 33% of their entire discography!!)

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 9 17 7:06 PM

paulfinlay29 wrote:
Oh id forgotten there was a bardo version! Have just been listening to them both. The BF version starts off a bit like someone is trying to sing while being strangled but I have to say I enjoy it more and more as it goes on. I think it's a nitce enough song do giving it a 6.5 out of 10. Not quite so keen on the bardo version tbh. (Why DID bardo cover two BF songs I wonder... it amounts to 33% of their entire discography!!)

Sorry, I forgot to rate Always Thinking Of You. I'd say 6 out of 10, as there are some real horrors waiting down the line and in the context of 1981 it was ok.

I'd have to check the writing credits but I imagine that both Lady Of The Night and Always Thinking Of You were  written by Andy and Nicola. Therefore it was a shrewd business decision by Big Note to maximize royalties. It certainly paid off for the  B side of One Step Further. I'm sure that if Bardo had won Eurovision and had a lengthy career, they would had exclusive material from that point onwards.   

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 15 17 10:40 PM

huddo wrote:
What other Fizz song did Bardo cover?
As for Fizz version of Always Thinking of You I think its a Cheryl solo basically and her vocal is amazing but its certainly "out there". It's so HIGH but I still love it!

Bardo didn't cover any further Bucks Fizz tracks beyond Always Thinking Of You and Lady Of The Night. In 82/83, Andy Hill was at his commercial and artistic height and like all writers and producers at that point, spread himself too thinly with Bardo and Paris. One Step Further would have been better as the Bucks Fizz single it was originally intended to be. Talking Out Of Line and Hang On To Your Heart would have been great Fizz album tracks, along with America and Another Sad Affair from Paris.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Always thinking of you is a ghastly recording and the verses make my ears bleed. I can't go beyond 2 out of 10. Sorry I missed 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 which I'd have given a solid 8 to.

Your Signature ...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help