Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 18 17 9:09 AM

Tags : :

While I'm here I thought I'd keep the momentum going and start off the next one. I need to go and have a listen to the album so I'll come back later to wield my axe!

In the meantime, here is the list of songs...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
I DO IT ALL FOR YOU
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
SURRENDER YOUR HEART
IF YOU CANT STAND THE HEAT
ID LIKE TO SAY I LOVE YOU
YOU LOVE LOVE
SHOT ME THROUGH THE HEART
RUNNING OUT OF TIME
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 18 17 9:21 AM

Just finished listening to the preview snippets on itunes for the Hand Cut album. I very rarely listen to Bucks Fizz's albums in their natural form (I usually just shuffle my "best of" playlist) and was surprised to find that, for me, there are only 4 stand out tracks on the album.

The rest is quite much of a muchness but due to the slight whiff of cheese surrounding it, I'm saying goodbye to Surrender Your Heart.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
I DO IT ALL FOR YOU
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
ID LIKE TO SAY I LOVE YOU
YOU LOVE LOVE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 18 17 11:39 AM

Good (and most obvious) choice for a first eviction.  I've always been slightly baffled at how the fans lionise Hand Cut. Sure, it's a solid pop album but, for me, Are You Ready? and I Hear Talk are their best albums by some distance.  I even prefer Writing On The Wall to this one. But, hey, different opinions and loyalties makes things far more fun and interesting.  To be fair to the set, I played it all before deciding what to evict and ended up voting for a song that I once thought might have made a fair-to-middling single:  "I Do It All For You."  It's a shame that "Stepping Out" didn't replace the drippy "Surrender Your Heart" on the original release.  This set is very ballad-heavy.  Not my kind of Fizz!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
I'D LIKE TO SAY I LOVE YOU
YOU LOVE LOVE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Last Edited By: Hometime Feb 18 17 11:51 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 18 17 6:32 PM

SHOT ME THROUGH THE HEART, only because I like the other ones better.

Superb album. The first 3 albums are excellent. I don't rate I Hear Talk compared to these.

It nice to see all the contrasting views and different opinions. I think I'm quite weird though. Not many seem to agree with me!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
YOU LOVE LOVE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 19 17 12:47 AM

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, let me show YOU to the door!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
YOU LOVE LOVE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Get Busy With The Fizzy!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 19 17 6:39 PM

Their weakest album by far. I still remember I was terribly disappointed when I first played it. So many mediocre songs and fillers!  'Surrender your heart' is Mike at his worst  Tongue  Terrible, terrible song and sung out of key.

'Running out of time' is out.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
WHERE THE ENDING STARTS
YOU LOVE LOVE

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 19 17 9:58 PM

Here's my Hand Cut story...

When I was a kid and the albums were released, I didn't buy them - could only ever afford to get the singles with my pocket money.  By the time I thought to ask for it for Christmas, my parents couldn't find it so my Mum wrote to the Fan Club.  They replied that it had been deleted, so I had to go without that album.
In the early 90s, my brother and his wife turned up at my house one Sunday - guess I was a late-teenager by then - and they handed me a big carrier bag.  In that bag was another bag and it that one another.  This went so on and so forth for about 30 bags until finally I arrived at a vinyl copy of Hand Cut which they had found at a car boot sale that morning.
I was so thrilled to finally have it... It is now my favourite Bucks Fizz album.  Regardless of the music, I just remember how long it took for me to get to hear it and have my own copy.

Anyway... time for me to vote out a song and it's going to be... Where The Ending Starts... Just because I like the others so much more.

That leaves a final three of...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 20 17 2:28 PM

If I had to pick the three best 'Hand Cut' songs, it would have been these three!  Thumbsup

Tough choice indeed!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 21 17 10:35 PM

Ok. So it seems I've got to decide the winner then!Oh dearie me!!image I'm going to go with 'I'd like to say I love you' Sorry. So  the winner is...

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 22 17 12:46 PM

A worthy winner there... though I would have been happy with any of the final three being last song standing.

If You Can't Stand The Heat is one of my faves and at some point in time was probably my number one song by them.  The image was great, the "Day in the life of..." video was a good idea.  They were riding the crest of their Fizz wave at this point.

But as a lead single for a new album campaign, stalling at No.10 must have been a relative disappointment, especially when the previous one had started with two No.1s.  When Run For Your Life bowed at No.14, there must have been enough alarm bells to have ditched the album and moved onto the Greatest Hits.

Bucks Fizz weren't really an albums group though, were they.  Even with the reasonably impressive longevity of their first 2 or 3 albums in the charts, the peak positions left a lot to be desired.  But looking at the Discography of similar acts of the time (Banararama, Kim Wilde etc) none of them made massive impressions on the album charts.

Guess that's why Bucks Fizz just flooded their career with singles instead.  And it worked... for a while at least.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 27 17 5:53 PM

Oops I meant to thank you sharing your Hand a Cut story mr fizz !

As you didn't get your copy of the album til some years later I was half expecting you to say that you'd gone off Buck's Fizz by then and chucked it in the bin - It's nice to hear that you never lost your affection for the band :)

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 27 17 8:45 PM

Glad people liked the story... :-) My liking of Bucks Fizz probably wavered a bit during the late 90s, though I still kept an eye out for their TV appearances. I then got back into the group when the first round of CD reissues started (I bought Hand Cut first) and I discovered the Early Years board. Three years ago when that folded and shortly afterwards I lost contact with Fizz friends, they dropped off my radar again. It's nice to be showing them a bit of attention again, though I still don't listen to their music very much.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 3 17 11:44 PM

Love this album. I'd have had Shot me through the heart as the winner!

Your Signature ...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help