Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 6 16 12:13 AM

hello all
nice to see this group still running with some old faces still around..i thought this had closed when the early years website went..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Nov 10 16 1:24 AM

Well, it's very interesting to see these reviews and video clips of the recent tour and it only confirms how bad things have got. The point has already been made, but the band clearly have appalling management and guidance. The shows seem very amateur and aimed at a tiny core fan base who seem to be so star struck they accept anything. I think the styling of the band is very poor with some really naff outfits. I'm guessing the Mike Stock album will be dreadful, so the whole thing just limps on.

What do the three of them get out of it now? This is a genuine question that I wonder about. There can't be any money to speak of in these gigs, as the venues are tiny and often barely half full. If they just do it for the the love of performing fair enough. I wonder whether Jay feels she has lost years to make up for, but this isn't the way. Bobby is there to pay his council tax, fine, we all need a job.

What makes me sad as a fan, is that things could have been so much better. Following the Here and Now gigs in 2004, if only Bobby G could have signed up to a full Bucks Fizz tour. Bands that sold less records than the Fizz have done successful retro arena tours. It would have been a fitting tribute to the Bucks Fizz legacy.

For me, the only magic remaining now, is the recordings from 1981 to 1988. I can't imagine I'll ever stop listening to those songs.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Nov 12 16 2:35 PM

Blimey, this thread has come on loads!

Someone mentioned Jay needing them as she didn't have a solo career. I was about 6 at the time so am a little unclear but am I right in thinking a ban was put on her to stop her recording music for a certain period of time after she left Fizz originally? I have no doubt if she could have launched a solo career in say 85 she would have been fairly successful even if only in the UK. Now of course yes she needs them as much as they do her.

As for someone els saying they hope the band don't read this - they need to read it! They are pleasing 20-30 people per show and alienating everyone else. Those die hards would turn up to anything they did because they are quite frankly potty so they need not worry to cater for them.

Last Edited By: fizzer Nov 12 16 2:41 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Nov 13 16 1:08 AM

dizzyfizzymusic wrote:
hello all
nice to see this group still running with some old faces still around..i thought this had closed when the early years website went..

No, this site kinda rose from the ashes of the early years site....

Paul wanted to get a forum up and running so that we all could still air our views unedited, and for those who don't use facebook.... and he asked me to help, and we have been going ever since.

A relatively small userbase and we dont all always agree, but at least we hear each other and takes different views into account :D 

Get Busy With The Fizzy!

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Nov 13 16 9:25 PM

I seriously think the Fizz SHOULD read this too! People in here are not being negative simply for the sake of being unkind.And I don't think anybody is bashing them. The feeling I get is that people here actually care about the Fizz and don't like seeing them degenerate into some cheap sideshow karaoke act,when I think everybody here knows that they can be so much more than that! Do they even know of the existance of this board?imageIDK and even if they did I'm not sure they'd take any heed anyway!image
I just wish they weren't so hell bent on pleasing those few uber fans anyway! It's beyond me why their management ( if they have any management or do they handle everything themselves?) don't actually take them in check, Raffles,long-winded jokes and do they actually give shout-outs to people in the audience too?imageI mean that's not the proper way to put on a gig! I wonder if they'd ever consider finding another 80's artist or group to tour with? it maybe would provide them with bigger venues and a more diverse audience,perhaps then they might channell the professionalism image We all know with a little focus they could be so much better! I'm hoping that something good will come from this new album they're working on with Mike Stock.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Nov 17 16 11:31 PM

fizzer wrote:
Blimey, this thread has come on loads!

Someone mentioned Jay needing them as she didn't have a solo career. I was about 6 at the time so am a little unclear but am I right in thinking a ban was put on her to stop her recording music for a certain period of time after she left Fizz originally? I have no doubt if she could have launched a solo career in say 85 she would have been fairly successful even if only in the UK. Now of course yes she needs them as much as they do her.

As for someone els saying they hope the band don't read this - they need to read it! They are pleasing 20-30 people per show and alienating everyone else. Those die hards would turn up to anything they did because they are quite frankly potty so they need not worry to cater for them.

Yes, as I understood it (being 15 at the time) although Jay ended up winning all her court cases, it took until 1989 to conclude this and she was unable to sign a new record deal during this time. There were many deals on the table in Summer '85, but by '89, they'd long gone as both she and Bucks Fizz were forgotten.

I firmly believe that Jay could have had a successful solo career in the UK. However, I think it's clear that she wasn't prepared to do the things that would make that necessary. Jay felt exploited and micro managed by Big Note, quite rightly so. That said, it allowed her to sell millions of records as part of Bucks Fizz. Jay's own music would not have been commercial enough to find UK success. The only way she would have had hits would be if she'd signed up to a major label, who would have put her with a big name producer, to make a pure pop album. I don't believe Jay wanted this as she was determined to do her own thing. Does she regret this? Probably yes, most of us regret career choices we made in our twenties, it's only human.

In '85, the rising stars in production were Stock Aitken Waterman. When you think they propelled Hazell Dean into the top five in summer '84, imagine what they could have done with Jay. She had far more style, charisma and profile than Hazell ever did. Other successful pop producers at the time included Derek Bramble and Alan Tarney who both could have produced a great single for Jay. As with all alternate history, it's fun to speculate, but we'll never know how things could have panned out. 

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Nov 17 16 11:45 PM

BlueJeans75 wrote:
Just spotted this review.. No wonder the Fizz are not upping their gameimageThis person is endorsing everything they do.
http://www.thereviewshub.com/bucks-fizz-land-of-make-believe-2016-tour-lyceum-theatre-crewe/

Oh dear, who on earth was writing this review? A mega fan that enjoyed a "shout out" or won the raffle? Also, I do not believe for a minute that Bucks Fizz were the best selling band of the 80's. That crown must surely sit with Culture Club, Duran Duran or Wham. However, on a positive note, Jay and Cheryl look great in that picture and are very well styled there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Nov 20 16 2:21 PM

Interesting comments on the debate about whether or not we hope CMJ have seen/read this thread.

Unfortunately, I think that if they WERE to read the comments here they would interpret them as nasty, personal attacks by people that just don't care and are out to get them - which I don't see as being the truth at all. After all, we wouldn't be here discussing the band in the first place if we genuinely didn't care.

I do think that they are unlikely to ever change the way they do things though - it would have happened by now if it was ever going to. It seems as though the band live in a bit of a bubble alongside their uber-fans who will unconditionally lap up everything and anything the band does and encourage them further by telling them it's all brilliant.

That's just opinion of course but, even if true, it's their choice at the end of the day and I suppose I just have to accept it... It's their career after all. But It's a shame that they or the uber-fans don't welcome any kind of criticism or negativity at all. They really could do a lot worse than take some of it on-board.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 21 16 2:10 AM

better line up???

what really gets my goat is these fools writing about them and saying it is the best line up ever,WHAT?

ok bobby mckvey might be good but I've not heard him with the fizz so i can't comment, but as to saying he should have been with them from the start then some folks really need to GET REAL.
bucks fizz will always be the four original members and bobby g was a big part of it
if OBF bought in shelley preston instead of the other bobby then that would be the original (but then 3 women and poor mike, how would he cope)
so no I'm not slagging any of them off but all these fans who travel to every concert (it seems), and then gets brown tongues by saying how great they are, its really annoying
thank you for letting me have a space to write my thoughts as if i said this in the Facebook page than they would prob ban me,so i keep quiet

Last Edited By: dizzyfizzymusic Nov 21 16 11:33 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Nov 21 16 4:23 PM

stokerob wrote:
This is an interesting thread on the latest incarnation of the Bucks Fizz brand.  These are my thoughts from my own online BLOG in case anybody is interested.

ItsARobsLife

Interesting. Were you a fan, back in the day?

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Nov 22 16 8:37 PM

Wuppie1968 wrote:

stokerob wrote:This is an interesting thread on the latest incarnation of the Bucks Fizz brand.  These are my thoughts from my own online BLOG in case anybody is interested.

ItsARobsLife

Interesting. Were you a fan, back in the day?

No not a fan during the 80s.  Came to their catalogue much later,  and I think it is a particularly strong back pop catalogue,  pity it isn't heard more on TV or radio.  They are ripe for discovery by a new generation.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Nov 23 16 5:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your review rob, it made for an interesting read.

Just out of interest, how was it that Bucks Fizz passed you by during the 80s? was it simply a question of being too young to remember them?

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Nov 24 16 3:36 PM

paulfinlay29 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your review rob, it made for an interesting read.

Just out of interest, how was it that Bucks Fizz passed you by during the 80s? was it simply a question of being too young to remember them?

I wish I was too young to remember Paul LOL   No Fizz didn't pass me by,  I used to by the singles but there were artists in the 80s I was much more into and so used my money to follow them.  Thus I didn't get to hear a lot of the Fizz album stuff until many many years later.  It was only then I realised there was so much more to them than the 7 inch vinyl I had been used to.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 4 16 1:10 AM

Perhaps Mike and Cheryl do way too many Pantomimesimage It may be an explanation for their clownish behaviour on stageimage And I'm not even kidding.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help